The Tenere 700 World Raid variant sits at the top of the Tenere 700 family but it packs in a lot more than the usual stuff. Read on…
It is said, if you want to experience the best in life, take the road less traveled. But what they don’t tell you is that the road less traveled is seldom smooth or paved. So, do ADVs form a big part of this philosophy?
Since the 80’s, and even earlier, there have been certain people who wanted to go beyond where the normal paved roads took them. For them various companies started introducing what are known as the first off-roaders of the world.
As they started to gain a lot of traction among the enthusiasts, it gave birth to a whole new world of ADVs which is so prevalent and in-demand in the present time.
The ADVs evolved from the earlier bikes that were built for roads but were able to go a little off-road to present machines which are completely designed to tackle the rocky terrains and the wilderness along with being good mile-munchers.
Then there are machines designed and built to take on the extreme. Tackle mountains, ravines, gorges, river-crossings, deserts, frozen tundras, jungles and we mean everything. They are known as Raid Machines or Desert Sleds, named so because conquering the desert environment is the highest badge of honor any ADV can ever achieve.
To add to this very exclusive list of Raid Machines is the Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid which was first showcased in the EICMA 2021. It is Yamaha’s hardcore ‘take-on-anything’ version of their popular Tenere 700 or T7 adventure-tourer.
Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid Details
- The T7 World Raid is powered by a 689 cc, 270-degree, parallel-twin, liquid-cooled DOHC engine which is also utilised on their other machines such as the MT-07, R7, XSR700 and the Tracer-7.
- This engine is specifically tuned to take on any challenge the wilderness has to offer according to Yamaha. It produces 72 HP of power and 68 Nm of torque.
- The new World Raid version gets its own dual-cradle frame design to offer more protection along with an anti-squat design at the rear to improve stability and traction.
- This version features increased fuel-tank capacity thanks to its dual-fuel tank design which, combined, holds 23 L (compared to 16 L of standard model) and claims a range of nearly 500 km.
- The dual-fuel tanks are positioned lower on either side of the frame to improve the center of gravity of the machine and works in tandem with the flat seat which allows better control and rideability for the rider.
- The seat height of the World Raid version has been increased by 20 mm over the standard model and measures 890 mm.
- The T7 World Raid gets for the first time a 5” color TFT screen with smartphone connectivity. But surprisingly, is missing out on the turn-by-turn navigation option.
- The TFT screen gets three screen layouts – Explorer, Street and Raid – each providing relevant and unique information.
- The ABS system features three modes – Mode-1 (Street), Mode-2 (Feont On, Rear Off) and Mode-3 (Front & Rear Off).
- As it is designed to be a pure ADV machine it doesn’t get additional electronic aids such as cruise control, wheelie control and traction control.
- The suspension setup of the T7 World Raid is very similar to their rally machines – fully-adjustable 43 mm KYB USD forks with 230 mm travel at the front featuring Kashima coating for better durability and link suspension with 220 mm travel connected to a lightweight swingarm at the rear.
- It runs on 21” front wheels and 18” rear wheels featuring a knobby off-road tyre profile.
- Continuing the rally/raid theme, it is also fitted with Ohlins steering-damper with 18 different settings mounted below the triple-clamp so that the rider can adjust it while riding.
- The lighting setup is an all-LED affair including the turn-indicators.
- It is offered in two colours – Icon Blue and Midnight Black
The Tenere 700 World Raid starts from £ 11,600 (~ Rs. 11,79,488/-) and can further be decked with Akrapovic slip-on exhaust, explorer soft bags, chain guard and so much more.
|Tenere 700 Model||Price in U.K.||Equivalent Price in India|
|Standard||£ 9,700||Rs. 9,86,211/-|
|Rally Edition||£ 11,000||Rs. 11,18,383/-|
|World Raid||£ 11,600||Rs. 11,79,386/-|
The Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid sits in the segment which is also occupied by the BMW F850 GSA and the KTM 890 Adventure R. Though smaller, it can also be rival against the Ducati DesertX which was revealed recently.