This 100-110cc motorcycle sales FY21 story tells us how things have fallen for each and every maker. And how do they stand vis-a-vis each other…
Though Honda is the country’s largest seller in the entry level 100-110cc scooter segment, its entry level motorcycles are simply not clicking. Interestingly, after fighting out fiercely for many years, many big rivals like Suzuki, Yamaha and others have left this segment completely for only four players – Hero, Honda, Bajaj and TVS.
Yes, the largest volume segment in India is fought only between these four makers and let us look at their performance and standings for the last three years…
100-110cc Motorcycle Sales FY21 vs Previous Years
|Maker||Sales FY19||Sales FY20||Sales FY21|
As you can see, along with the overall fall in sales, this segment has also shrunk.
- Overall segment sales are down by a very significant 30.5 Lakh units or 36 percent!
- Of this, Hero has lost almost 20 Lakh units or about 32 percent. But surprisingly, this is the lowest percentage fall among all the other makers in this list.
- Second ranker, Bajaj is down by over 7 Lakh units and is at half of its sales of the financial year 2018-19. It is trying to make up for it by introducing new models such as the CT110X.
- Third largest seller Chennai based TVS has shown a degrowth of 1.57 Lakh units which corresponds to a drop of 34 percent.
- Despite trying its heart out, Honda hasn’t managed to break into the podium and is still the lowest 100cc motorcycle seller in the country. It has lost 1.82 Lakh units and is down by 43 percent!
- The bigger worry for Honda is that it was about 31,000 units behind TVS in FY19 but this gap has widened to over 55,000 units last year.
- For reference, TVS sells three motorcycle models – Radeon, Star City and Sport in this segment whereas Honda has limited itself to only two models – Livo and CD110 Deluxe.
There is another way to look at it – while others have many models and variants in this segment, Honda is playing only with two (and both of them are among the costlier models in the segment). It does NOT have a cheaper product in its arsenal.
Note – These are official SIAM shared numbers and represent wholesale figures for each company