Update: Now Launched in India at 1.14 Lakh ex-Delhi
We share exclusive information of R15S from its Nepal launch. Also included are official specs, differences with R15 V2.
After getting it confirmed from the Yamaha management on 14th September, we informed you that R15S is NOT a hoax and that it will be launched in India very soon (link to report). And here it gets officially official! We present to you its specs & exclusive pic.
The Japanese motorcycle manufacturer, along with its associates in Nepal have launched the R15S. The R15S is powered by the same 149.8 cc liquid cooled, fuel injected mill producing 17 PS of power at 8,500 rpm and 15 Nm of peak torque at 7,500 rpm. The external appearance though has changed a bit and back are the design features of the older version which means that the bike will again have a slightly more practical pillion seat.
R15S vs R15 V2: Key Pointers & Differences
Here are some key pointers about the Yamaha R15S:
- R15S carries a single connected seat against the split unit of the R15 V2.
- Pillion seat height has been reduced and (pillion) riders will surely prefer it over the V2’s highly impractical one.
- The seat for the rider has also been reduced by 10 mm to 790 mm. However the minimum ground clearance is the same 160 mm.
- The overall length gets increased marginally (25 mm) to 1,995 mm, the width and height remain the same 670 mm and 1,070 mm respectively.
- The wheelbase has been reduced to 1,290 mm from 1,345 mm. This 55 mm reduction in wheelbase ideally should translate to a little nimbler motorcycle, as the older R15 V1 was.
- The kerb weight too sees a reduction of 5 kg as the R15S weighs 131 kilos. Faster lap times..?
R15S Technical Specifications
Here are the official specifications of the motorcycle..
In Nepal R15S costs 3,34,900 NPR (~2.09 Lakh INR) whereas the R15 V2 is priced at 3,42,900 NPR (~2.13 Lakh INR), both prices ex-showroom in Kathmandu. Considering that there is a difference of about 4-5000 INR in Nepal, Indian prices should translate to a negligible reduction of about Rs 2000-2500, if et all!
Also Read: Yamaha Caught Testing Mystery Bike: Naked R15 – MT 15 Under Works?
As we have said earlier, Yamaha’s idea is to increase the customer base of R15 which has seen a heated competition in the recent times.