Yamaha plays a masterstroke! Japanese major today launched the much awaited scooter Ray in Hyderabad. Contrary to the word that was out there, the scooter is powered by a 113cc engine which produces 7bhp of power output and torque of 8.1Nm.
Here are the important pointers of the launch:
- With Ray Yamaha marks its foray into the fast growing scooter segment.
- Ray is strategically placed to compete with the existing big names in this space.
- Ray is powered by an air-cooled 4 stroke 113cc engine which comes with CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission)
- Power output is rated at 7 bhp @ 7500rpm and 8.1Nm @ 5500 rpm.
- Yamaha has ensured that the scooter is women-friendly. Seat has been designed with easy leg reach towards the ground and ease of mounting. Ample storage space has been provided and the center and side stands are easy to operate.
- Ray was unveiled by Bollywood actress Ms Deepika Padukone.
- Yamaha claims that Ray offers best in class acceleration, handling, maneuverability and ‘good‘ fuel efficiency.
- Yamaha has majorly targeted this scooter towards the growing class of young working female customers which look out for light and zippy scooter.
- Yamaha expects a market share of 20% in India by the year 2016.
- Yamaha has started a new assembly line for scooters which is managed entirely by women employees. That means Ray is a scooter predominantly for women, assembled by women!
- Yamaha has also initiated a female riding program which will be implemented across the country soon.
Yamaha Ray Colors:
Ray would be available in 6 colors:
- Plush Pink
- Purple Pastel
- Shining Blue
- Burgundy Bliss
- Grey Grandeur
- Black Star
Yamaha Ray Price:
Yamaha has priced the scooter pretty competitively at Rs 46,000 ex-showroom Delhi. This puts it bang in the target sight of Honda’s Activa which is India’s largest selling scooter and is priced at Rs 46,100 ex-showroom in Delhi.
Would you buy Ray over the other scooters we have in India specially Activa?
Obviously a lot of the details would come out during a proper roadtest of the scooter which we will try to get as soon as possible. Stay tuned!