After playing a lot of hide n seek, TVS’ fresh attack on Honda is now in front of us. TVS Jupiter, as it is called, has been launched by the South India based two wheeler maker in the country.
Jupiter is a premium scooter in the 110cc segment and brings in fresh salvo for TVS. It will go against Activa and Maestro and has an uncanny similarity in design with both of these. Let’s take a quick look at the new offering:
TVS Jupiter Features & Important Pointers:
- Jupiter comes with the same 109.7cc OHC motor as the Wego. It produces 5.88 KW (8ps) of peak power at 7500 rpm and 8Nm of max torque at 5500 rpm. These specs are exactly the same for Wego and come at same rpms.
- At 650mm width, Jupiter is 10mm wider than Wego. All other dimensions remain the same.
- It comes with the same 90/90 12 inch rubbers and are tubeless.
- Fuel tank capacity is marginally better at 5.3 liters.
- Against Wego’s optional 220mm front disc brakes, Jupiter (for now) comes only with drum brakes.
- TVS claims a 0-60kmph sprint in 7.2 seconds.
- Claimed fuel efficiency of 62kmpl is best in class
- Jupiter also gets Pass-by switch which is common on motorcycles but a first in scooters.
- TVS also claims that Jupiter comes with largest leg space of 1275mm. It can carry an LPG cylinder in horizontal position on the footboard! (Promoting carrying of dangerous LPG cylinders…???)
- Front are telescopic shock absorbers whereas the rear are Gas-filled ones for added cushioning.
- Low Fuel Indicator light
- Retractable bag hooks
- Jupiter also gets a ‘Patented E-Z Center Stand
- As we already know through spyshots, TVS Jupiter gets external fuel refilling just under the grab rail.
- TVS also claims that Jupiter comes with a turning radius of 1910mm which is the least in class
- 17 liter under-seat storage
- Accessible Kick Starter
- Key Shutter Lock
Jupiter Color Options:
Jupiter is available in 4 color options:
- Pristine White
- Titanium Grey
- Volcano Red
- Midnight Black
TVS has priced Jupiter at Rs 44,200 ex-showroom Delhi. Jupiter goes on sale instantly in northern India and will be launched in South India in some time. TVS will launch Scooty Zest by January 2014.
Will Jupiter threaten Activa bros.?