Last weekend saw the kick off of the first ever Royal Enfield ride – The Tour of Tibet. A team of 17 riders on their Enfields will ride at an average altitude of 4500mts above sea level for most of the duration reaching the Everest Base Camp (5200mts above sea level) via Lhasa covering 2380 kms in 15 days.
The limited riders’ exclusive tour saw two riders from Uruguay and one rider form Singapore too.
The first edition of the Royal Enfield Tour of Tibet was flagged off from Lucknow’s Royal Enfield Brand Store at Badshah Nagar by Chief Guest Mrs Anita Singh, Assistant Regional Transport Officer for Mahanagar, Lucknow region and speaking at the occasion Shaji Koshy, Senior Vice-President Sales & Marketing Royal Enfield said,
“…This tour offers newer motorcycling destinations and a variety of riding terrains to the participants that will make the Tour of Tibet an experience of a lifetime. Such motorcycling adventures further strengthen the Royal Enfield philosophy and promise of providing pure motorcycling experience to our customers”.
As the riders traverse the roof of the world he is a peek at their route for our reader:
- Oct 13- Riding through the plains the riders will reach Kathmandu.
- Oct 20- From Kathmandu Enfields will be on their way into the Lhasa, Tibet passing through the ‘lesser Himalayas’ the riders will come across several sharp turns which are shaped like hairpins. The riders will pass through 4 mountain passes which are all above 5000 mts.
- Oct 22- After a day’s rest ascend to the Everest Base Camp will commence.
- Oct 24- The riders will reach the Everest Base Camp via Shegar.
- Oct 25- The riders would begin their descent and will continue from the base camp till Tingri. The entire stretch of Shegar-Everest Base Camp-Tingri will be a full blown off-roading experience.
- Oct 26- The first Royal Enfield Tour of Tibet will culminate once the riders reach Kathmandu.
This is the third of the international rides organised by Royal Enfield apart from the famous Tour of Nepal and Bhutan.
*Upcoming Continental GT
And if you are unaware, Royal Enfield has also shared with us that they will launch their best-ever motorcycle Continental GT during the media ride event scheduled between 25-28th November. Read a detailed report here.
– by Saravana Priyan