CNG as a fuel is safer, less polluting and more economical to run than petrol. MGL (Mahanagar Gas Limited) and Eco-fuel have launched CNG-fitted two-wheelers in Mumbai.
The salient features of these CNG kits are…
- They comprise of 2 cylinders which have a water holding capacity of 5 liters each.
- You can fill 1.2 kg of CNG at one go.
- MGL claims a fuel efficiency of 90 km per kg of CNG and the total range is upto 120-130 kms.
- This results in per kilometer running cost of approximately 60 paisa only. Compare that with about Rs 1.5 per km running cost for petrol (petrol cost = Rs 75/ltr, FE = 50 km/l).
Currently, two kit manufacturers – Lovato and ITUK have got the license for these two-wheeler kits. Between them, Lovato has an approval for 18 scooter models which are listed below..
- Hero Duet, Maestro and Pleasure
- Honda Activa 125, Dio (Activa 110 for some reason is not listed. We have connected with the concerned people for clarification on this).
- TVS Jupiter, Scooty Zest and Wego
- Mahindra Duro DZ, Gusto 110 & 125
- Yamaha Alpha, Fascino and Ray
- Suzuki Access, Let’s and Swish
- Vespa 125 cc
Currently, these two-wheeler CNG kits are available only in Mumbai which has a CNG-dispensing capability of 27 lakh kgs per day. It can hence, fuel 10 lakh vehicles in its area.
Two-Wheeler CNG Kits Price
You can take your scooter to Lovato and get the CNG kit installed. These CNG kits are priced at Rs 15,000 per fitment.
This has been an untapped area so far and I am sure more players will join in and the availability will also increase to other cities in the coming times.
Next Read: Two of the Most Senseless Launches of 2016