Apart from the launch of Activa 3G and the introduction of new 2015 variants, Honda also shared a brief of their future plans for India in their 4th February Press Meet. Our correspondent Neelanjan, who covered the launch event for us shares them with all of you in quick pointers. Some of them are real interesting….
Major Pointers from Honda’s 04th Feb Press Meet
- Honda plans to launch 15 new models in 2015 – 7 brand new, 8 cosmetic (as we said last time!)
- The company will NOT go below 100cc in motorcycles.
- BS4 homologation has been started, work underway at their technical centre. Existing products will be upgraded to BS4 by March end 2016 or latest by early fiscal 2016-17.
- New products can be expected to be launched in July-August. Not fixed yet though.
- Present 150 cc motorcycles will NOT be updated with the new engine from Unicorn 160.
- Investment in fiscal 2014-15= Rs 1084 crores, investment in fiscal 2015-16= Rs 1600 crores. This one is high as it will include the investment for a new plant.
- This year they will add 500+ touchpoints minimum (2015-16)
- As of now no plans for electric vehicles.
Making 4 cylinder engines not so easy in India. “Assembly for engines”, Demand based they will decided on how to increase localisation. Mainly assembly (in Manesar) in the beginning. Quality of manpower is questionable, manufacturing facility for a 4 cylinder also required. Shared business plan with dealers. Not a big number though. Lot of enthusiasm from dealers. Made in India CBR650F is their challenge and dream!
Honda’s Expectations from the Budget:
- Some kind of leniency on the excise front, a representation to the government has been given through SIAM.
- Government’s commitment on infrastructure development (like roads, flyovers etc).