When we test rode the new Duro last month, it was christened Duro DX, but somehow, according the news which we received today, Mahindra has rebranded the scooter as Duro DZ. Anyways, the big news is that the scooter is launched and at an attractive price tag. I had suggested in my roadtest article that Mahindra should not play with the price tag much as it would take the basic USP of the scooter away and seems like Mahindra just read that (Okay Okay…! I know I am taking unasked-for credits here!)
According to the press release, Mahindra has launched the scooter in Hyderabad. It seems that nationwide launch will be in phases and north India would have to wait a little. The ex-showroom price of Duro DZ in various states of India is…
- Andhra Pradesh: Rs 44,640
- Kerala: Rs 44,908
- Tamil Nadu: Rs 45,235
- Karnataka: Rs 44,760
- Delhi: Rs 42,332
Now as I compare the ex-showroom prices of the existing Duro STD from the company’s website with the latest prices of Duro DZ, I find the following noteworthy points:
- The price difference in ex-showroom prices varies from Rs 490 (in Delhi) to Rs 1839 (in Kerala)
- The final difference in on road prices (when the on road prices of Duro STD are scaled to same magnitude) ranges from Rs 567 (in Delhi) to Rs 2025 (in Kerala)
- The percentage increase in ex-showroom prices varies from 1% in Delhi to 4% in Kerala.
- Duro DZ is priced Rs.2500 lesser than Activa DLX and Rs.2561 lesser than Access 125 on the ex-showroom price tag in Delhi. Ex-showroom price of Activa and Access taken from company website.
According to my assumption, and as told by Mahindra back then, the current Duro would continue to sell as the basic variant and this Duro DZ would form the premium variant. Read the official press release below.
– Saad Khan
Mahindra 2 Wheelers launches Duro DZ in Hyderabad. A tough scooter that takes on the toughest roads.
December 12, 2011, Hyderabad: Mahindra 2 Wheelers, a part of the US $ 14.4 billion Mahindra Group, has launched the Mahindra Duro DZ – a tough, powerful, fuel efficient 125 cc scooter, designed specifically for the challenging Indian roads – in Hyderabad.
The new Mahindra Duro DZ offers a unique combination of superior power, advanced telescopic suspension and a variety of other important durability and safety related features. With an amazing range of superior features, and a very attractive launch price, the new Mahindra Duro DZ is sure to be an instant hit. It is designed to be the perfect scooter for carrying your family on tough Indian roads.
The new Mahindra Duro DZ comes loaded with:
- A superior, powerful 125 cc engine which provides better instant pick-up and multi-terrain acceleration, making it easier for you to carry loads, even on steep inclines and in tough road conditions.
- Dual Curve Digital ignition system which delivers a mileage superior to other 125 cc scooters
- Advanced Telescopic Suspension which ensures a smooth ride on the toughest terrain.
- Superior ground clearance which enables manoeuvrability over speed breakers and rough roads with ease and comfort.
- Long wheelbase and improved braking system offering better safety & stability on the road.
- A broad halogen lamp to provide wider range and depth in visibility.
- An under seat storage capacity of 20L, one of the largest in its segment in addition to built in front storage.
- Rear Brake lock lever for safety & parking on inclines
“The Mahindra Duro DZ is a tough and powerful scooter designed specifically for Indian road conditions.. The Duro DZ is the result of our R&D team working closely with consumers and extensive testing. The Duro DZ has been reviewed by the leading experts in the industry some of who have termed it the best scooter on Indian roads. We have also created an interesting new marketing campaign with actor Kareena Kapoor which we will be unveiling soon” said Mr. Viren Popli, Senior V.P. Marketing, Sales and Customer Care, Mahindra Two Wheelers.
Mahindra has once again created excitement in the industry by launching the new Duro DZ at a special launch price which is significantly lower than leading scooter brands available today. The ex- showroom prices announced are: AP – Rs 44,640/-, Kerala – Rs 44,908/-, TN – Rs. 45,235/ and Karnataka – Rs. 44,760/-, respectively.