Royal Enfield launched its much anticipated and premium-most bike in India, 2012 Thunderbird 500. We updated you with live updates as soon as they happened from event. Below you will find a detailed launch report with all the details of the bike and more bike pictures from the event.
Thunderbird was first launched in 2002.
- Royal Enfield says that ThunderBird 500 is an outcome of the feedback given by highway cruisers.
- The company claims that ThunderBird 500 is suitable for long distance riding because of its range, braking, night riding visibility, luggage carrying capability etc.
- Royal Enfield is targeting the bike among tourers and time and again the ‘touring’ was used to emphasize the utility of the bike.
- ThunderBird 500 is powered by the same 499cc single cylinder 4 stroke Twinspark engine with Electronic Fuel Injection which does duty on Classic 500.
- The peak power and torque outputs are also exactly same at 27.2bhp @5250 rpm & 41.3Nm @4000 rpm.
- ThunderBird500 comes in 3 shades of black – Stone, Flicker and Twilight.
- The rear seat can be done away with to enhance load carrying capability
- Rear oval section swingarm has been redesigned
- Handle bar with vibration resistance
- ThunderBird 350 also gets updated with the new design theme
- Thunderbird 350 comes in 2 color options – Flicker & Twilight
- Thunderbird 350 doesn’t come with EFI
- The company claims a total range of over 500kms in a full tank of petrol for 500 and over 600kms for 350 (Obviously under test condition’*’)
- Royal Enfield also says that they have altered the footpegs and handle bars geometry and enhanced the overall riding posture for extremely comfortable long journeys.
- The new Thunderbird also comes with a redesigned pillion backrest
- Royal Enfield has stopped bookings of the older Thunderbird 350
- The company also mentioned that they are working on improving the service standards and overall experience would be bettered.
- The company also plans to launch the Cafe Racer sometime next year.
- 55W Projector headlamps
- LED ring endowed tail lamps
- 20 Liter tank
- Bungee Cord mounts
- New footpegs with Royal Enfield Logo
- New design wider Rear View Mirrors
- 41mm thick front forks
- Blue backlit LCD display
- Two trip meters
- Hazard lamps – a first for an Indian manufactured motorcycle. (All 4 indicators glow at the same time)
- 240mm single caliper Rear Disc Brake
Thunderbird 2012 Edition Price:
- Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 : Rs 1,43,346
- Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : Rs 1,82,571
At this price, Thunderbird 500 is approximately 30k+ costlier than Classic 500. And the new improvised Thunderbird 350 is approximately Rs 25,000 over the older Thunderbird 350.
All prices On-Road in Mumbai.
Royal Enfield MotorCycle Gear
Royal Enfield has also launched motorcycle gear which includes
- Riding Jackets
- Riding Denims
- Modular eye wear with ‘anti-fog’ treatment
- AGV branded Open and Full face
- Motorcycle boots
- logo pin badges
Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Specifications
|Type||Single Cylinder, 4 stroke, Twinspark|
|Bore x stroke||84mm x 90mm|
|Maximum Power||27.2 bhp @ 5250 rpm|
|Maximum Torque||41.3 Nm @ 4000 rpm|
|Ignition System||Digital Electronic Ignition|
|Gearbox||5 Speed Constant Mesh|
|Engine Oil||5 W 50 API, SL Grade JASO MA|
|Fuel Supply||Keihin Electronic Fuel Injection|
|Air Cleaner||Paper Element|
CHASSIS & SUSPENSION
|Type||Single downtube, using engine as stressed member|
|Front suspension||Telescopic, 41mm forks, 130mm travel|
|Rear suspension||Twin gas charged shock absorbers with 5-step adjustable preload, 80mm travel|
BRAKES AND TYRES
|Tyres Fr.||90/90 – 19|
|Tyres Rr.||120/80 – 18|
|Brakes Front||280mm Disc, 2-Piston caliper|
|Brakes Rear||240mm Disc, Single Piston caliper|
|Tail Lamp||LED Lamp with position light guides|
|Turn Signal Lamp||Hazard Lights|
|Electrical System||12 volt – DC|
|Battery||12 volt, 14 Ah|
|Head Lamp||Projection type headlamp, H7 55/55W|
|Ground Clearance||140 mm|
|Width||790 mm(Without Mirrors)|
|Height, Seat Height||1205 mm (Without Mirrors), 775mm|
|Kerb Weight||195 Kg|
|Fuel Capacity||20 Ltr|
Check out more 2012 RE Thunderbird 500 and 350 from the event.