At an event in Mumbai today, Piaggio India has taken the covers off the new range of Vespas and despite yesterday’s leak they managed to pull up a surprise. They did launch the classic Italian looking Vespa VXL and SXL with the existing 125 cc mill but also brought in a new 150 cc engine to the lineup. This makes them the largest capacity engine in a scooter available in the country and after a long wait – a 150cc scooter finally (two of them actually!)!
The new 150 cc single cylinder three valve engine gets a similar aluminium cylinder head, overhead cam and roller rocker arm, MAP sensing and variable spark timing management. The engine produces 11.6 PS of maximum power at 7,000 rpm and a peak torque output of 11.5 Nm at 5,500 rpm. The transmission is overlooked by a CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) gearbox.
The suspension is the same aircraft inspired single side armed front unit (with anti-dive characteristics) mated with a dual effect hydraulic shock absorber. Braking duties are performed by a 200 mm ventilated disc upfront while the rear gets a 140 mm drum setup.
What’s New & Different?
- Vespa SXL 150 and Vespa SXL 125:
- New front nose with the traditional chrome studded setup
- Newer contoured seat for enhanced comfort
- New 5 spoke alloy wheel in black colour
- Redesigned digital instrumentation console with an analogue speedo
- Broader tubeless tyres
- The SXL 125 is available in Orange, Matt Black, White and Azzure Blue
- The SXL 150 does not get the Azzure Blue but gets the snazzy Matt Red
- Vespa VXL 150 and Vespa VXL 125:
- Similar changes to the design with a slightly different looking seat
- The alloy wheels are in silver and not in black
- The VXL 125 is available in Yellow, White Red, Matt Black and Maze Grey
- The VXL 150 does not come in Maze Grey but gets a new shade in Green
New 2015 Vespa VXL & SXL Prices
- Vespa VXL 125: Rs 77,308
- Vespa SXL 125: Rs 81,967
- Vespa VXL 150: Rs 84,641
- Vespa SXL 150: Rs 88,696
*all prices ex-showroom in Pune