The Panigale family got a new flagship at the EICMA last year in the form of the 1299 Panigale. This time however Ducati decided to work on the entry level version and make it more exciting and slightly mature and the outcome is the bigger Panigale 959! The new 959 sports a new twin cylinder 955 cc Desmodromic liquid cooled engine with Euro 4 compliance, making it the first Superquadro to comply with the latest emission norms.
The engine continues to be a fully stressed member of the monocoque frame, helping it achieve a great power to weight ratio thanks to a dry weight of 176 kg (and a wet weight of 200 kg). As a result of the increased capacity, the output is up at 157 PS at 10,500 rpm and the maximum torque of 107.4 Nm is produced at 9,000 rpm. The bike is mated with a 6 speed transmission with the Ducati Quick Shifter.
Ducati Panigale 959: Key Pointers
Here are some key pointers about the new Panigale 959…
- Technological aids include Ride by wire technology, Engine Brake Control system, 8 level Ducati Traction Control, Riding Modes, Ducati Data Analyser plus GPS and servo assisted slipper clutch
- It gets 43 mm Showa Big Piston Fork for improved damping control at low speed and fully adjustable Sachs monoshock in the rear
- New Panigale 959 comes with 10 spoke wheels with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres – Size is 120/70 ZR 17 front and 180/60 ZR 17 at the rear
- The wider nose and fairing takes inspiration from the bigger 1299 Panigale, along with new lateral air intakes, the bike also gets new rear view mirrors.
- While the bore remains the same 100 mm, the piston stroke has been increased from 57.2 mm to 60.8 mm to incorporate the increased engine size
- The crankcase is shared with the 1299 Panigale and is made by vacuum die casting technology to ensure optimal weight saving, consistent wall thickness and increased strength
The new Panigale 959 also gets a redesigned exhaust system with twin silencers placed on the right hand side of the bike for Euro 4 emission norm compliance. The traditional underbelly exhaust will also be available in nations where Euro 4 emission norms have still not been enforced.
Here is the new Panigale 959 in all its glory…
Ducati Panigale 959 Pic Gallery