2022 Honda Vario 160 launch: The scoot gets sportier with new features and looks interesting. Should it come to India…?
It is often seen that Indonesia gets more likable products and that obviously has to do with the higher number of potential customers of such products. Honda have launched the updated 2022 Vario 160 in Indonesia, adding to their present offering of Vario 125. The Vario 160 is, loosely, a rival to Yamaha Aerox 155 sports scooter which is available on our shores.
The Vario series by Honda has been in production since 2006 and has received consistent cosmetic changes along with power upgrades over the years. In recent years it received an aggressive and sporty makeover to mimic the look of maxi-scooters.
2022 Honda Vario 160
- The Vario 160 flaunts a bigger body with aggressive design which will remind you of the Aerox 155 and the Suzuki Burgman scooter.
- It sports a wide front-end with twin-LED headlights and indicators integrated into it along with extended fairing adding to the sporty demeanor of the scooter.
- Looking along the body, the aggressive lines extend to the rear, leading all the way to the tail-lamp.
- The rear is very reminiscent of a small motorcycle, with a side mounted exhaust unit and rear shock absorber along with a wide tail-lamp.
- There are two variants available – ABS and Combined Braking System (CBS) variants – and both these variants get their own colour range.
- ABS variant colours – Grande Matte White, Active Black, Grande Matte Black.
- CBS variant colours – Grande Matte Red, Active Black, Grande Matte Black.
Engine and Chassis –
- The Vario 160 is powered by a 156.9 cc, liquid-cooled, 4-valve, eSP+ power unit.
- It generates 15.4 PS of power at 8500 RPM and 13.8 Nm of torque at 7000 RPM.
- The engine is mated to a V-matic automatic transmission equipped with a centrifugal, dry-type clutch system.
- Vario 160 is built around an Underbone – enhanced Smart Architecture Frame (eSAF) and rides on 14” front and rear wheels.
- The two variants get different braking systems and hardware related to it.
- The ABS variant gets disc rotors both at front and at rear.
- The CBS variant gets disc at the front while a drum brake system at the rear.
- The suspension setup consists of telescopic shocks at the front and single shock absorber at the rear.
- Wheelbase – 1277 mm
- Seat Height – 778 mm
- Kerb weight – 117 kg for ABS variant and 115 kg for CBS variant
- Fuel Capacity – 5.5 L
- The Vario 160 comes with a full-digital instrumentation which displays information such as fuel consumption, digital clock, speedometer, tripmeter, oil change reminder and much more.
- The scooter doesn’t get a traditional key and ignition. It features a smart-key which the scooter detects along with an anti-theft alarm and system.
- It gets an all-LED headlight, tail-light and turn indicators.
- It features a storage console box at the front with a USB charger and a massive 18 litre underseat storage.
|Vario 160 ABS||Vario 160 CBS|
|IDR 28,500,000 (~ Rs. 1,48,139/-)||IDR 25,800,000 (~ Rs. 1,34,060/-)|
There seems to be no indication that Honda will bring the Vario 160 scooter to our market. However, we are sure that the scooter market leader will, one day, venture in this 150cc scooter space and it will be interesting to see which model will be the torch bearer for the brand.