2-Wheeler Sales January 2020 – The top six makers are fighting in groups of two! But overall a very bad month as each and every maker suffered decline!
Two-wheeler sales have been on a continuous upward trajectory in this decade. Sales have grown from about 11.77 million units in 2010/11 to 21.18 million in 2018/19. But this year could become an exception as the complete auto industry is in a big turmoil – partly because of the frequent government regulations apart from the overall gloomy buying atmosphere.
Two-wheeler manufacturers continued the downward slide in January as sales fell in the first month of this year as well. Here is how it stood…
2-Wheeler Sales January 2020
|Manufacturer||January 2020 Sales||Percentage Change|
|Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India||3,74,114||-6.63|
As you can see, not a single manufacturer has shown positive numbers as compared to January 2019. Here are a few quick pointers about Jan 2020’s sales…
- Even Suzuki, which is the only major manufacturer in India to have shown growth this fiscal, was in red in January.
- The difference between Honda and Hero was only 1.14 Lakh units in January which corresponds to about 30 percent. In the cumulative sales for the year also, Honda is roughly 31 percent behind Hero.
- In January, the fight between the third and fourth placed makers – TVS and Bajaj also intensified – only ~5000 units separated both the giants. Against a minor difference for the month of January, Bajaj is 17 percent behind TVS in cumulative sales for the year.
- There is another interesting battle brewing in India between Suzuki and Royal Enfield for the fifth spot. Suzuki was behind RE in Jan but in cumulative sales it is marginally ahead of the Chennai based maker.
- Yamaha suffered the biggest percentage loss in January in this list and it also significantly down in the April-January sales tally.
Here is a bonus… sales of few of the premium makers which are a part of SIAM.
Slowdown: 28.68 Lakh Less 2-Wheelers Sold in India This Year So Far
2-Wheeler Sales – Premium Manufacturers
|Makers||Jan 2020 Sales||Percentage Change|
*Official SIAM shared sales data