With the battle for the third spot fought hard between TVS Motors and HMSI, both the companies have pushed the ‘Launch’ button. After aggressive launches from Honda, TVS has ensured that they do not left behind. With the clutchless wonder Jive, TVS has launched the 110cc unisex scooter Wego in Pune a few days back in a bid to make sure that the product reaches all major potential parts of the country.
HMSI leads the scooter market with their omnipresent Activa followed by other similar models. Wego is a direct attempt at the largest selling Activa in a bid to regain the lost ground. We try to figure out does the scooter has enough juice to dethrone Activa at the very First Look.
Wego is powered by a 109.7cc air cooled 4 stroke engine which is capable of producing 8PS at 7500 rpm and an equal amount of torque which peaks at 5500 rpm. These figures seem comparable to the competition, a lot will demystify once we thoroughly test ride this machine. We will switch to the various features TVS is banking upon.
- All Aluminum engine: Wego comes loaded with a noise free all aluminum low friction engine for a fuss free experience and lesser vibrations.
- Forward Biased Center of Gravity: TVS has been advertising this feature a lot. As they say, the center of Gravity, which is one of the most important factors for stability of a machine, has been kept forward biased which would have needed a lot of technical expertise as it’s not easy to lessen the impact of rear mounted engine’s weight which is the single heaviest component of a scooter.
- Telescopic Front shock absorbers: This is one feature we would advice all companies to adorn on their scooters. Telescopic shock absorbers are so much better than the conventional ones at providing a much needed respite to the rider’s spine.
- Gas Charged Rear suspension: Wego becomes the first scooter in India to pay heed to and sport Nitrogen Gas charged suspension for the rear. As a combo (front and rear) it does make the scooter probably the best when it comes to rides on normal to broken roads. Middle aged men (and women) are you listening!
- Large Tires: One thing which we really liked was the industry first 12 inch alloy wheels on this scooter. While these add to a lot of safety on the road they make the scooter stand out from the rest.
- Aggressive styling: Look at it from the front and you would find a hard lined stance as if it were to prove a point forcibly on you. The bulging rear ending with a pointed tail adds to the overall styling.
- Full Metal Body: Wego also comes equipped with a full metal body. Rest assured it would save a lot of your after sales spent money along with adding a lot of safety on the go.
- External Fuel Knob: Similar to the Scooty Streak, Wego also has the rear mounted fuel knob so that you are saved of the unnecessary extra hassle of getting down everytime you fill fuel.
- Combo Charger: Now you can charge your cellphone on the go; a very handy feature which must make it to all other scooters as well.
- Zero Maintenance Battery: Keeping pace with the competition, Wego comes equipped with a zero maintenance 12V 4Ah battery which doesn’t need frequent looking after.
- Patented EZ Center Stand: An innovation especially for the fairer sex, the patented EZ center stand requires lesser effort to mount the scooter on it. Now no more, in-a-hurry side stand niggles!
- Combo Lock: One key does it all! The side panel lock opens up both the seat and fuel tank cap.
- Under Seat Storage: Wego comes with a 15 liter under seat storage space which can store a full face helmet, documents, Pepsi cans and other handy loads. Not class leading but decent enough!
- Claimed Mileage: TVS claims this bike to deliver close to 50kmpl of mileage on a mix driving of cities and larger roads.
- Low Weight: The scooter tips at 105kgs on the scale which makes it an efficient machine for both the sexes to handle.
- Vivid Color Options: Wego would be made available in 5 color options: Silver, Black (our choice), Dark Blue, Cappuccino Brown and Golden Beige.
- Wet Compound Tires: Wego also come equipped with wet compound tires which promise to be sticky even on wet roads.
That seems a lot of innovation and a very worthy attempt at the competition. TVS has kept the pricing of the scooter very competitive at 42,361 ex showroom Pune which is on the similar lines of Activa. TVS plans to sell 20,000 units for this scooter per month once the scooter has been made available all around the country.
Its evident that Wego has been made with a lot of heart and it clearly shows in the overall product. Now is it an Activa defeater needs to be seen as sales progress. Look out for our rode test where we will talk about the scooter in depth.
- Saad Khan