Well before the unveiling of the KTM RC390 at the EICMA Auto Show in Milan in early November, its details have spilled onto Visordown.com.
While we have no way to verify if the claims are true, it appears that this is what we will get. The bike looks drool-worthy in the pictures and the specifications are impressive.
Here are the highlights of the claimed information :
- Engine - Same 373 cc four-stroke, liquid-cooled powerplant used on the KTM 390 Duke. The power figure has been put at 43 bhp. It is said to be mated to a six-speed tranny. All high-tech stuff are loaded into it, and it has been debated much earlier. All we can remind you of is forged piston, Nikasil-cylinder-coating and forced feed lubrication with power-promoting body-evacuation.
- Chassis - It appears similar to the steel trellis frame of the Duke, but the steering head angle has been increased to 66.5 degrees to shorten the trail and the wheelbase for agile handling. The light alloy swingarm is claimed to provide extreme torsional stiffness and better stability.
- Suspension - WP components, both at front and rear. The notable claim is that the upside-down front fork has the same 43mm diameter as the RC8 R, thus allowing race-bred finesse on this bike.
- Windshield - This was something that had been sorely missed on the Duke 390. Now, it has arrived and claims incredible wind protection for the rider’s chest and arms. The headlamp shape looks eccentric, though!!
- Braking System - Single discs are seen in the picture, both at the front and the back. It is claimed that there is a radially-mounted, four-pot Brembo caliper biting on the 300 mm front disc. Another single-piston unit clamps down on the 230 mm disc at the back. The KTM RC390 will come with ABS that can be turned on and off via the flick of a switch.
- Wheels - It is said that the 17 inch cast alloy wheels painted in KTM Trademark Orange are quite lightweight and stable as well. Sticky Metzeler rubber is used both at the front and the rear, with the front being 110 mm wide and the rear being a meaty 150 mm across.
- Other Equipment - There is a compact, underbelly silencer that is positioned close to the bike’s center of gravity. It aids in better mass centralisation, and also prevents accidental scalding of the rider’s or the passenger’s legs. It is also pointed out that the instrument console is fully digital, and will display a host of important read-outs, including a RPM Alert for shifting up. For a snazzy look, the RC390 should get rear-view mirrors with integrated turn-blinkers.
KTM RC390 Price and Availability -
As of now, we have no word about the price of the KTM RC390. But it is reasonable to expect it to be tad pricier than the KTM 390 Duke, to account for the added bodywork and shinier cues like a redesigned clip-on handle bar with triple aluminium clamp-ons.
Early this year, KTM has released an official word which mentioned the launch period of Duke 390 as well as ‘Faired’ small sportsbike based on RC8. As we understand, this is the bike KTM was talking about and its launch is slated for early next year.
Nevertheless, what do you feel about the look of the full, sporty front-fairing??
|Design||1-cylinder 4-stroke engine, water-cooled|
|Performance||32 kW (43 hp)|
|Starting aid||Electric starter|
|Transmission||6 speed, claw shifted|
|Engine lubrication||Forced oil lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps|
|Primary gear ratio||30:80|
|Secondary gear ratio||15:45|
|Cooling system||Liquid cooling system, continuous circulation of cooling liquid with water pump|
|Clutch||Wet multi-disc clutch / mechanically operated|
|Ignition system||Contactless, controlled, fully electronic ignition system with digital ignition timing adjustment|
|Frame||Tubular space frame made from steel, powder-coated|
|Fork||WP Suspension Up Side Down|
|Shock absorber||WP Monoshock|
|Suspension travel front||125 mm|
|Suspension travel rear||150 mm|
|Brake system Front||Disc brake with four-pot brake caliper|
|Brake system Rear||Disc brake with one-pot brake caliper, floating brake discs|
|Brake discs – diameter Front||300 mm|
|Brake discs – diameter Rear||230 mm|
|Chain||5/8 x 1/4” X‑Ring|
|Steering head angle||66.5°|
|Wheel base||1,340±15 mm|
|Ground clearance (unloaded)||178.5 mm|
|Seat height (unloaded)||820 mm|
|Total fuel tank capacity approx.||10 l
Unleaded premium fuel (95 RON)
|Weight without fuel approx.||147 kg|